There are 100’s of different ways to lose weight. In this guide were going to show you one of the best methods that’s been proven, over and over again, to work for most people most of the time. It involves combining 3 powerful tactics into one synergistic combination that allows for efficient calorie burning, rapid fat loss, and better overall fitness/health in a short amount of time.
The 3 tactics are:
1. Smart Exercise
2. Clean Diet
3. Proper Supplementation
Although every one of these 3 methods can work by itself, it’s the combination of the 3 that’s the real secret to fast, effective weight loss and long-term weight maintenance. By using all 3 at the same time, you don’t have to be as “perfect” as you would if you used only one. For example, a diet mistake like an extra piece of birthday cake can easily be “fixed” with a slight adjustment to the intensity or duration or your next workout!
Follow the steps below to lose weight quickly, safely, and efficiently…
“Smart” exercise is exercise that provides the maximum amount of benefit in the least amount of time. It’s short, sweet, and usually fairly intense but it’ll burn a ton of fat and tone up your muscles quickly.
* Perform 20-30 minutes of moderate-intensity cardiovascular exercise OR 7-20 minutes of high-intensity cardio, 3 – 4 times per week.
* Good cardio exercises include running, bike riding, stair-climbing, elliptical running, jumping rope, and anything else that allows you to keep your heart rate up for an extended period of time.
* If you prefer — or can only do — low-intensity cardio (like brisk walking) you must do more: at least 30-60 minutes, 5 days per week.
* Do some form of strength training (weight lifting) 3 – 5 times per week, no more than 45 minutes per session. Do both heavier-weight, lower-rep workouts and lighter-weight, higher-rep workouts for maximum results.
* Use free weights, quality machines, or your own bodyweight for strength training.
* Perform a light 5 to 10-minute warm up (light jogging and stretching is a great option) to loosen up your muscles and joints before lifting weights.
* Frequently “mix up” your strength workouts to continually confuse your body/muscles and get better results. Change the exercises you perform, as well as the set/rep schemes, time between sets, intensity of your sets, etc.
You’re on a “clean” eating plan when you cut out most or all of the junk food — especially refined sugars and highly-processed grains — and eat lots of healthy whole foods: mainly fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, whole grains, lean proteins, and good fats/oils. This eating approach is proven to work by both science and real world experience!
* Try to eat 5-6 small, balanced meals per day.
* Try to get about 30% of your calories from protein, 30% from fat, and 40% from carbohydrates. It takes some effort but it’s worth it.
* Eat about a gram of protein per pound of body weight. A little less is OK if you use a very high-quality protein supplement like whey protein powder.
* Good sources of protein are: eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef, cottage cheese, and protein powders.
* Good sources of carbs are: vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes, and whole grains (including oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain wheat, etc.)
* Good sources of healthy fats are: nuts, seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, natural peanut butter, low fat cheese, and flax seeds.
* Cut out as much processed food as possible. The closer a food is to its “natural” state, the better.
* Try to drink about a gallon of pure water each day.
* For a healthy energy-boost and increased fat-burning, drink a few cups of green tea, yerba mate, or black coffee before your workouts.
* Cheat. For one 5 hour period per week, eat whatever you want. This is both a reward and a way to confuse your metabolism to help “wake” it up.
* Get used to eating only until you feel slightly full. Never “stuff” yourself with food (unless you follow an intermittent fasting eating plan).
Supplementing your diet is the easiest and most effective way to make sure your body has everything it needs to burn fat and not lose significant amounts of muscle tissue in the process. Due to the low nutrient content of many of our foods (including fruits and vegetables grown in poor soils) it’s almost impossible to get everything you need from diet alone. Also, certain weight loss supplements can help boost metabolism and reduce appetite while you’re working on changing your eating habits – making them a BIG help for many people!
Here’s a list of our favorite “useful” supplements ranked by importance:
* High-Quality Multivitamin/Multimineral Formula. This is the foundation of your supplement program so choose a good one. The $7 “multivitamins” you can buy at the drugstore aren’t very well absorbed by the body.
* Whey Protein Powder. A high-quality whey protein is definitely the easiest way to boost your protein intake, which is important for fat-burning and muscle-building/muscle-sparing. Whey protein is also incredibly good for your overall health.
* Essential Fatty Acids. An EFA supplement — like fish oil or krill oil — is the easiest way to make sure you get enough healthy fats (especially omega-3 fats) in your diet. These “good” fats are extremely important for safe weight loss and overall health.
* Meal Replacement Powders. MRPs make it easier to eat the 5-6 small meals per day recommended for weight loss. Many people who go on an intensive fitness program make use of them because they’re convenient and they contain the optimal ratio of high-quality protein to carbohydrates.
* Fat Burners. Some “fat burner” supplements help by giving you more energy for workouts, reducing your appetite, and speeding up your metabolism slightly. But they should be used very sparingly — no more than 2 or 3 times per week, taken 30 minutes before workouts. The best options contain caffeine, green tea extract, and b vitamins.
That’s it: the basic steps to fast, efficient fat loss. If it seems a bit overwhelming, that’s OK. It’s really not that complicated.
Just set a weight loss goal, create a plan based around the steps outlined above, and get to work. Within a couple of weeks it’ll all be second-nature and you’ll be on your way to a leaner, healthier, fitter, sexier body. Good luck!
More good stuff here: Healthy Weight Loss & Dieting Tips
Image 1 by rpavich
Image 2 by mariareyesmcdavis